Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Moral of the story: Don't be so Lazy

I was thinking yesterday about how surprised I was to lose over 4 pounds last week. I wondered what I had done or not done to get that kind of numbers. I mean, I hadn’t gotten on the treadmill even once! I had been careful with my food, but I’ve been careful all summer and lost only a total of 7 pounds in 2 ½ months before this.

It finally came to me.

My plan allows for frozen meals 5 times a week.

Frozen meals are easy.

I am a lazy person.

So, I’ve been having Lean Cuisine meals 5 times a week at lunch time since last December.



I have chosen only meals that fall within the guidelines of my plan (LA Weight Loss):
200-300 calories
less than 40 g carbs
at least 14 g protein
less than 10 g fat
and less than 750 g sodium

The last time I was in at the center (2 ½ weeks ago) (I know, I am supposed to be in 3 times a week, and I was at first, because we lived in the city at the time. Now, the closest center is 1 hour away – I only go in every couple weeks) Anyway, the last time I was at the center, we talked about my frustration with being stuck on the same “numbers” for so long. The counselor recommended that I use the frozen meals only twice a week, at most because of the sodium.

After 2 weeks of no frozen meals, even with no exercise to speak of, I lost more than ½ of what I’d lost all summer!

Just another example of how my laziness has gotten me in trouble.

And you know? I haven’t even missed them! I’ve been having leftovers or salad for lunches – and enjoying my own cooking much more than the frozen stuff.

Oh, and I moved my ticker today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The more I cook for myself, the more I understand what my body does with what I eat. I lost 1.5 lbs yesterday based on one hard boiled egg (breakfast), one pear (mid-morning), two hot wieners with sourcraut (lunch), 280 cal bar, two 500 ml waters, four thighs skittle cooked with one large potatoe, 2 large carrots, one large onion, garlic powder, some soya sauce, 1/3 bottle of sesame sauce and water. Now this chicken down here is really fatty and I cut off some of the heavier pieces of skin. Oh, I craved sweet so I had a 1/3 bowl of healthy cereal. The diet combined with working from 04:30 till 21:30 saw my weight go from 236.5 to 235 in a 24 hr period.

On a side note, the 236.5 is my lowest weight to date after being at home for 14 days. I left here with my weight at 231 and returned with my weight at 236.5. I have been coming back with my weight as high or higher than 10 lbs more after 14 days at home. For me, that is a success. My habits that I am establishing here are starting to migrate like a flock of geese North.

WWSuzi said...

Totaly understand the salt thing ! This morning for some unknown reason the scale went way up and yesterday i'd drank my water, went for a walk ate very well. So i started to think and went online to where i post my food intake and low and behold it was a high sodium day for me. So dollars to donuts my weight will be back down tomorrow. As long as i don't eat anything at work as i'm a supervisor at a tim hortons coffee/donut store ;)

~Crystal said...

Cooking for myself has been the biggest lifesaver for me...and I find that I enjoy the meals more when I make them at home. Much better than eating out or frozen dinners...even if they are within my guidelines. So I'm sure you'll continue to have great success...hang in there...we can do it!! :0)

Anonymous said...

I am so NOT a cook! I wish I were. My "lazy" Mon-Fri lunches are the South Beach Diet Wrap Kits. They are actually pretty yummy, but I do have to watch the sodium!

You should check out this website: Hungry-girl.com
She has great low cal & EASY recipes and alternatives for some of the all time favorite dishes!

Keep up the great work! Congrats on your amazing loss! Gotta love moving the ticker (in the right direction)! =)

~Crystal said...

Hi there, thank you for checking out my blog. I noticed you are from Alberta...where? I moved from Lloydminster, AB in March and am now in Texas.