Friday, September 19, 2008

A Vision of the Future

Yesterday I was at Kathryn’s (daughter). She was sick in bed so a young friend, Holly, was looking after the day home (an extra 2 yr old and a 3 yr old - both in diapers). Holly had to change a dirty diaper (poor girl) and when she and the 2 yr old came out of the bathroom, she asked me if the diaper was on backward. It was. She looked rather despondent at having to take it off and put it on again. I took pity on her and said “I’ll do it”.

This is not so unusual. Except that the little one was already laying down on the floor for me. I cringed, because I don't get down on the floor for reasons I will go into in a moment. But, Hey! I did not want Holly to see that I could not get down on the floor. I mean, I have some pride, you know? And just in case she hasn't noticed that I am fat, I didn't want to draw attention to the fact. :)

Remarkably, I found it quite easy to get down! Then I noticed I could actually kneel in front of the child, and lean toward her without feeling like I was cutting off my breath. As I quickly switched the diaper around, I felt triumphant! I changed a diaper on the floor!

That may not sound like much, but ever since becoming a grandmother 8 years ago, I have had to avoid the diaper changing unless I brought the child up to a table. (my girls all change diapers on the floor) Even sitting beside her on a couch did not work very well. NEVER could I do it on the floor! My belly got in the way of my breathing. My belly got in the way of my reaching the baby. My knees were hurting long before the diaper was even off!

So, this was a victory!

We went back in the evening to look after Seth (grandson) for Kathryn until Vinjelu (SIL) came home from work. I decided to test my private little victory out again, got down on the floor and played with my grandson! I even laid on my stomach!!!!

I have a long way to go before I can get up and down off the floor with absolute ease, but I have tasted the freedom and the fun of playing on the floor with my munchkins…..I so look forward to what the next 10 pounds brings. And the next………

2 comments:

WWSuzi said...

What an awesome NSV ;)

new*me said...

i can really relate to this. Since I have lost weight and 11 in off my waist things like this are getting easier........although I still use the changing table for the twins...just to save my back. My mom worked for a physical therapist for many years and she told me sitting like that on the floor is bad for your back.

Great victory :)